Monday 5 January 2009

Book Review: Size 12 Is Not Fat - Meg Cabot

About three things I was absolutely positive. First, this was officially the first chick-lit murder mystery book I had read. Second, I absolutely had to know who had committed the crimes. And third, I wanted nothing more than for the heroine to get the hero by the end of the book.

While we were travelling around the countryside on our road trip, I noticed a Meg Cabot omnibus for £3 comprised of Size 12 is Not Fat and Size 14 is Not Fat Either. I had never heard of Meg Cabot nor had I read a book of the chick-lit genre before but I needed some light reading after all of that travelling and on account of my flu.

The thinly disguised comment at the beginning of this post has to do with my dawning realisation, very early on in this book, that Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was in fact nothing other than a chick-lit novel with a vampire lead male. Except that the leading women in chick-lit novels usually develop some self-esteem or sense of self-worth by the end of the first book (or at least the sequel!) and Meyer was quite happy keeping Bella at the vacuous, oblivious stage throughout most of the series.

With that massive tangent out of the way, I'll just say that Size 12 is Not Fat delivered. I needed something light and entertaining and that is what I got. A lot of readers found certain aspects of the book annoying, for example the lead character Heather keeps saying "dorm - I mean residence hall". Having read the Amazon reviews before digging into the book however, I was prepared for this and basically ignored it.

The book was good enough that I'm going to dig straight into the sequel (seeing as it is part of the same omnibus). I can't envisage reading too many of these books and will probably be gagging for something less vanilla after that but yes, perfect for now.

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Can you please send in that "The Fall" review? Don't make it too long as it will be a group review and I will post about a paragraph of each person. I will post it in one blog, when someone else sends in a review of it, then I will edit the post and add their review with their blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep wanting to pick up this book, but I was never sure. I love the title, and I love the Princess Diaries series, but I think you have now convinced me that this should be my chick-lit book for the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Pizza: You're a hard task master! You said 16 Jan!! Okay, my review is up but it is long. I think the best thing to do would be to select a paragraph of couple of lines you like and link back to the main text. Let me know if you struggle with that and I'll write a summary.

    @ Vanessa: Hi Sweetheart!! Was Princess Diaries good? I've not even seen the film but I know Patrick enjoyed it. I thought that had more to do with what's her face, the actress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Emm, I do not mean to pressure you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry - I wasn't offended at all - was just teasing you.

    ReplyDelete

© 2005 - Mandy Southgate | Addicted to Media

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig