Friday 25 April 2008

TV: Being Human gets a full six episode series!

Yayyyyy. The news is out that Being Human has been commissioned for a full series of six episodes. This is such brilliant news. This is the story of three supernatural beings, sharing a flat together. They are a ghost, a werewolf and a vampire. I really enjoyed the pilot when it was shown as part of BBC3's pilot series and I've been waiting for news of it ever since.

Being Human stars Guy Flanagan as Mitchell, the vampire. Mark Wright at thestage.co.uk said that he thought the portrayal of vampire culture in the show was too stereotypical; but I remember thinking the opposite really. I felt that Mitchell was very much an individual and the show seemed to contrast that against his culture. Vampire culture was generalised in a sense but more in terms of how we as outsiders view foreign cultures as opposed to an unoriginal view of that culture. It's hard to explain. In the end, it doesn't matter if Mitchell's peers are stereotypes, what matters is that he is not them. In a sense it makes the premise seem more normal as the show isn't going on about the fantasy and legend of vampire; they are just seen like any other culture, and could just as well be Albanian or something like that. Oh, and did I mention that Mitchell is hot?

Russell Tovey plays George, the werewolf. I have to admit to being part of the rapidly expanding group of women who find themselves baffled at why they find Russell Tovey so attractive. I don't understand it at all but I really do like him. He was in The Sea along Harry Lloyd but I was too busy hyperventilating and swooning to notice anyone other than Harry. Anyway, I'd have to say that Russell plays George with complete grace and he gives a really strong performance.

Andrea Riseborough plays Annie, the ghost. I don't think her character was developed much at all; but I think that we're in for some interesting dynamics given the other two characters.

I'm really quite excited about this show and promise to lament about it relentlessly when it airs in 2009.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© 2005 - Mandy Southgate | Addicted to Media

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig